daily parcels * tied up in string *: memories are made of this <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d11982689\x26blogName\x3ddaily+parcels+*+tied+up+in+string+*\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://dailyparcels.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_AU\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://dailyparcels.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7305813461985210591', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

daily parcels * tied up in string *

daily musings of a vintage addict * I am totally obsessed with all things vintage * trying to keep up with my past...and sometimes ordinary everyday life

My Photo
Name:
Location: Katoomba, NSW, Australia

here I am in a little cottage that evokes the energies of my ancestral lands - a cottage on the moors of Cornwall, or on the cliff tops of Ireland or Scotland. It has a hearth. I am a hedge witch {of sorts}. I wear upcycled clothes, patchouli oil and Redback boots. I am a gypsy; an eccentric and a mystic [I often live with a foot in two worlds]. I serve my guests, tea from an old silver teapot. I love Vervain, yarrow, chamomile & mint. Star watcher and Moon gazer. story cloth weaver. keeper of family dreams and wishes. good friend and creator of life. herbal tea drinker and potion maker.

Plan ahead and dream of all the beautiful things that life has to offer

March 10, 2006

memories are made of this

I remember those indian hippy shops in the 70's. Loved them - loved the cheesecloth dresses and wrap around skirts * the thin plastic bangles [and one of those was never enough - I think I had around 100] * the many strands of black & coloured beads * the toe thongs * I loved wandering around those shops for hours, seeking out all the hidden corners and finding treasures, sometimes losing track and thinking I was in a bazaar in Morocco or Turkey or some other exotic place that I only dreamed about. I loved the delightful sandalwood soap and all those gorgeous hindu statues and the pipes that were displayed. I loved the incense, if I remember rightly my favourite back then was sandalwood or jasmine But the thing that I remember vividly was the 'spiritual sky' patchouli oil. I would dab that stuff behind my ears like it was going out of fashion - I loved the whole smell of those shops and the atmosphere, like I said - a moroccan bazaar. so how do you think I felt, when I found a shop just like that, near where I live? just last week! hippy clothes, incense and patchouli oil. along with buddha statues and silk cushions - I felt like I was in Heaven * it even smelt the same * I was transported back to my carefree teens - when hippy was in. so far, I have bought myself a gorgeous long skirt and some sandalwood incense - tomorrow - well maybe the patchouli oil - you know, I just may have found my authentic self - or one of them at least !

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Robyn, that's great! Good on you for letting yourself go back to that happy time :) I think that's what SA is all about, going back to when we were carefree and happy - and you've found a piece of that! YAY!!

hugs xx

11:32 pm  
Blogger Dawn said...

I remember those shops...I had the cotton blouses with the beadwork. Daughter in law now wears that clothing and my son in law and sons wear the patchouli..
:o)

2:28 am  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

When I was a young thing, I felt that way about the library...smile. And, after paydays, I loved to hit the clothing stores. One of my favorites had a bargain table..just heaped with beauties. One treasure from there was an orange blouse with tiny yellow flowers, just the most cheerful thing. Memories, aren't they great!

5:03 am  
Blogger Amy said...

I love those sort of shops! And the patchouli oil you were talking about is my favourite scent, we have a similar product here called kama sutra oil, it smells so delicous!

8:43 am  
Blogger Shell said...

Oh, yes! I love 'sandlewood' incense and I used to love the 'rose geranium' oil. You could get them in the little glass vials too remember - oh, well, you still can actually! (and when I say 'remember' I'm not talking about the 70's, hehe!).

When I first moved to Brisbane about 11 years ago, there were heaps of these shops in the Valley. Now they've been closed, the buildings refurbished and minimal, expensive, designer stores have been put in. They have half the character, dreary looking workers in them, and absolutely no warmth about them. I miss the old hippie shops - they *were* like a bazaar.

There are a few of these well kept little secret stores around the city, and I'm always visiting them for inspiration. Why only on Thursday I picked up some prayer flags to hang on my new deck!

I've always called myself a 'hippy' in spite of the negative connotations people associate with that word these days. Reclaim you inner love child! Long live the hippie dream! Hehe. =)

8:56 am  
Blogger Kali said...

I was a child in the 70's and as my sister is 7 years older, I have great memories of the fashion.
Up in Darwin this kind of shops were/are quite common. I've only been to one here in Hobart.

9:05 am  
Blogger Laurie said...

Robyn,You can always put a smile on my face! I just found your Simple Abundance blog~what a joy! I am so happy for you that you found a shop that carries items that makes your heart sing! I long for a shop here that carries lacey,frilly,vintage~y clothes that smell of lavender and roses...

10:03 am  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

"Let the sunshine in" when you start singing songs of the 60s too, then you know you are really transported back in time...Though I htink you are already there! Can we come join you if we promise to throw away our bras ;)Great post Robyn, To be a hippy was my dream!

11:22 am  
Blogger Rosa said...

The smell of patchouli brings me back to the 60s, even to this day!

3:48 pm  
Blogger ~Nancy~ said...

Loved those shops...we called them "head" shops, not sure why. I introduced my daughter to one when she was entering junior high school. She was doing a History Fair project on the Vietnam War and we used some of their items to decorate her board. She LOVED that era, experienced thru mom, and I loved feelin' groovy once more.
Thanks, Robyn. \/ Peace \/

3:05 pm  
Blogger Kerri said...

Ah, the 60's and 70's. Burning incense :)You probably did that too, right?
On our first date Hubby and I went to see the live show 'Hair' playing in Sydney at the time. Can you imagine my embarrassment when they all took off their clothes under that big parachute and then lifted the parachute? I wanted to crawl under the seat! Talk about letting the sun shine! (on everything) :)

3:43 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Heaven? Shouldn't that be Nirvana?

7:58 pm  
Blogger Everydaythings said...

oh what a lovely description Robyn, it bought back a very happy memory for me when I got to be ahippy back in the seventies....it lasted about two weeks when I went on a holiday to a hippy town in the uk. Oh what nice nice memories....

7:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home