daily parcels * tied up in string *: memories are made of this <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d11982689\x26blogName\x3ddaily+parcels+*+tied+up+in+string+*\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://dailyparcels.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_AU\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://dailyparcels.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7305813461985210591', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

daily parcels * tied up in string *

daily musings of a vintage addict * I am totally obsessed with all things vintage * trying to keep up with my past...and sometimes ordinary everyday life

My Photo
Name:
Location: Katoomba, NSW, Australia

here I am in a little cottage that evokes the energies of my ancestral lands - a cottage on the moors of Cornwall, or on the cliff tops of Ireland or Scotland. It has a hearth. I am a hedge witch {of sorts}. I wear upcycled clothes, patchouli oil and Redback boots. I am a gypsy; an eccentric and a mystic [I often live with a foot in two worlds]. I serve my guests, tea from an old silver teapot. I love Vervain, yarrow, chamomile & mint. Star watcher and Moon gazer. story cloth weaver. keeper of family dreams and wishes. good friend and creator of life. herbal tea drinker and potion maker.

Plan ahead and dream of all the beautiful things that life has to offer

March 08, 2006

memories are made of this

I first ever heard of Desiderata in the 1970's when I was a teen. oh those awful years!(for my mother, I mean) It was put to music by Les Crane and I can still hear:
'you are a child of the universe, * you have a right to be here and whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding - as it should.'
I am sure each of you have heard of it - but it is so beautiful and because ms*sophie is having one of those 'oh dear' days that all of us women have, I thought I would put it on my blog - just to remind each of us to " go placidly amid the noise and haste" and "to be gentle with yourself"

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.


Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.


Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.


Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.


You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.


Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.


With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.


Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, Copyright 1952.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kali said...

A favourite...beautiful every time I read it.

10:28 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Do you know, that is the first time I have read that? Of course I had heard of it, but for some reason never actually I've never seen it until now! I'm going to copy it, and print it out. Words to live by...

Thank you.

11:26 pm  
Blogger Mindy said...

Beautiful...thank you for posting it, and also for your constant encouragement..your a sweetheart! xo

4:40 am  
Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Be gentle with yourself.
Those words have saved me many of times!

7:41 am  
Blogger Amy said...

I really like that poem, I have seen it over the years but have never really taken time to read it until now. Thanks for sharing it.

7:52 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a memory. I agreed with you so much that I have blogged about it at The Trad Pad with a link to you Ms Robyn.

8:43 am  
Blogger Everydaythings said...

Ms Robyn....I too love to be reminded of that. IN the UK we had the seventies version with telly savalas aka - the cop with the looly in his mouth...ooh forgot his name!!! anyway he had a rich deep voice perfect for this. I also have a little card with this printed on it...thanks for reminding us to go placidly - I could do a lot of that.

5:43 pm  
Blogger Sharon said...

I love this one too... I think it sums up life beautifully....

8:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home