daily parcels * tied up in string *: memories are made of this <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d11982689\x26blogName\x3ddaily+parcels+*+tied+up+in+string+*\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://dailyparcels.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_AU\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://dailyparcels.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7305813461985210591', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

daily parcels * tied up in string *

daily musings of a vintage addict * I am totally obsessed with all things vintage * trying to keep up with my past...and sometimes ordinary everyday life

My Photo
Name:
Location: Katoomba, NSW, Australia

here I am in a little cottage that evokes the energies of my ancestral lands - a cottage on the moors of Cornwall, or on the cliff tops of Ireland or Scotland. It has a hearth. I am a hedge witch {of sorts}. I wear upcycled clothes, patchouli oil and Redback boots. I am a gypsy; an eccentric and a mystic [I often live with a foot in two worlds]. I serve my guests, tea from an old silver teapot. I love Vervain, yarrow, chamomile & mint. Star watcher and Moon gazer. story cloth weaver. keeper of family dreams and wishes. good friend and creator of life. herbal tea drinker and potion maker.

Plan ahead and dream of all the beautiful things that life has to offer

November 14, 2005

memories are made of this

when I was in primary school, each week the girls would do sewing.
Our teachers name was Mrs Rutledge.
One year she had us make bags
*from coloured hessian, embroidered with something on the outside and had bamboo handles* Mine was bright sky blue, with blue sateen lining and the embroidery was a dark blue elephant.
One night last week, I was thinking about the bag that I made
and started designing it in my head
*as you do*.
The next day, I went off to spotlight and surprisingly hessian is available in many colours
so I bought a metre of hot pink and a metre of lime green.
I am going to make some of these bags.
Maybe even a few for Christmas
which realistically probably won't happen
The pink one has been started and for the lining I am using a vintage teatowel.
I am going to embroider lots of flowers on the hessian.
I am still hunting down babmboo handles
- I can find plastic ones but really, they aren't vintage are they?

5 Comments:

Blogger Kali said...

Good Morning ms*robyn ~ I hope your weekend trip away to the Ball was a success...Those bags sound pretty groovy! I can't wait to see how your new one will turn out...It's getting harder to find the old bamboo handles, but I will keep a look out for you...you never know :)

9:53 am  
Blogger Peggy said...

just stopping by to say hi and hope you had a wonderful weekend

2:14 pm  
Blogger Amy said...

yes I remember hessian sewing, I think sewing when I was school was called home economics and we had to make pillowcases and bags etc. lots of fun anyway...

2:14 pm  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

That sounds like something pretty is in the making. Hope you'll post pictures by and by. Isn't it the best feeling to make something pretty and useful! Glad you came by knitting kat and liked my platter. I've been enjoying it. Happy Monday to you!

5:28 pm  
Blogger Boxwood Cottage said...

It's funny that you call that material "Hessian" (we call it "Sackleinen" or "Rupfen") because this is what we call the people who come from the german province Hessen. And noo plastic ones aren't really vintage! Me too ist hoping that you post pics of your bag.

Btw if my card for you has still not arrived by now I think it must have got lost somewhere in the dark blue sea.:( I've sent it before Kali's and long before Amy's and they've already got their's.

9:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home