daily parcels * tied up in string *: memories are made of this <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d11982689\x26blogName\x3ddaily+parcels+*+tied+up+in+string+*\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://dailyparcels.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_AU\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://dailyparcels.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7305813461985210591', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

daily parcels * tied up in string *

daily musings of a vintage addict * I am totally obsessed with all things vintage * trying to keep up with my past...and sometimes ordinary everyday life

My Photo
Name:
Location: Katoomba, NSW, Australia

here I am in a little cottage that evokes the energies of my ancestral lands - a cottage on the moors of Cornwall, or on the cliff tops of Ireland or Scotland. It has a hearth. I am a hedge witch {of sorts}. I wear upcycled clothes, patchouli oil and Redback boots. I am a gypsy; an eccentric and a mystic [I often live with a foot in two worlds]. I serve my guests, tea from an old silver teapot. I love Vervain, yarrow, chamomile & mint. Star watcher and Moon gazer. story cloth weaver. keeper of family dreams and wishes. good friend and creator of life. herbal tea drinker and potion maker.

Plan ahead and dream of all the beautiful things that life has to offer

February 26, 2006

memories are made of this


THE FAMILY PICNIC
remember those picnics we use to go on when we were children? oh the anticipation ! Of mum boiling the eggs the day before and making the orange cake that was a must on a picnic. The cold lamb *yes, the days before the barbeque - it was either a cold leg of lamb or cold corned beef* and the bottle of home pickeled beetroot. And on the day of the picnic, we were always up so early - dad packing the car with the blanket and picnic basket oh and the esky filled with ice and cold drinks. Mum making the coffee in the thermos and packing all the salad stuff into tupperware containers - then the journey began, along dusty country roads * of which there were many where I lived * in the old FJ, sitting in the back with the windows down, gazing contentedly out the window. Arriving and finding THE PERFECT picnic spot - putting the blanket on the ground...... so many things to remember and what memories they are -.......... so because of these lovely memories and because a picnic is mentioned in Romancing the Ordinary * I have decided to hold a family picnic once a month and today is our first !
me being me, sent a letter to each of my children:
ahh – the first of our family monthly picnics!
February 26th at Blackheath Park.
Meet up at about 12pm and bring :
a picnic rug or table;
thermos of hot water for tea & coffee; plates, cutlery, cups and glasses. Your own meat whether it is for a BBQ or cold meat as well as your own drinks
A salad to share:
I will bring a pasta salad
Julie to bring a small potato bake
Louisa a tossed salad.
I will bring an orange cake to share and if you wish you can bring something as well.
The Sunday paper to read and maybe a pillow or two for the inevitable afternoon nap
I am going to bring a Frisbee and maybe someone can bring a ball. I hope to find shuttlecock too.
Hope to see you there!

so I have packed our picnic basket with cloth napkins, a tablecloth that was my grandmas - the orange cake is in the vintage cake tin with the porcelain knob on top - mismatched china plates and cups - a bottle of my home pickled beetroot and a bowl full of my home grown tomatoes that I picked yesterday. I have a face washer in a plastic bag - no wet ones for this vintage girl !!!

AND for the scrumptious little touch * I have an old pecks paste jar to use as a little vase on my picnic cloth

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

sounds positively scrumptious ms*robyn. I hope you and your loved ones have the most delightful day ever!

11:37 am  
Blogger ~Nancy~ said...

Oh, that makes me so homesick! It is the very thing I would love to do. Sadly, I live hours and hours away from all family. My only daughter is away at college, 8-9 hours drive, my sister and her brood (my only family left), live 13 hours away, my nephews live another 8 hours in the opposite direction. I am stuck in the middle of no where it seems and I miss them........terribly. I can only imagine what a lovely time you all had. Thank you for a wonderful wishing......

4:24 pm  
Blogger Amy said...

Oh I use to love picnics except we use to go to the museum in akld and feed the ducks at the same time. Definitely great memories...

6:37 pm  
Blogger Kristy said...

That sounds so scrumptious.When the weather gets better here we will start our picnics again.At the moment we can just about manage a thermos of hot chocolate in the park!

10:01 pm  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Hope it didn't rain?

12:42 am  
Blogger Dawn said...

sounds like fun...and one for memories.

6:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home